Dreaming of relaxing by the pool, with a good book? You don’t have to be sitting in a far away place to enjoy a good summer read. That and more can be yours in your own backyard. With so many luxurious appointments now accessible and affordable, many homeowners are choosing to invest in their own backyard as a vacation alternative. Creating your backyard oasis can be as simple or elaborate as your needs and budget allow, with a range of products available:
- Beautiful, functional outdoor furniture, hammocks, rugs and colorful accents www.pinterest.com/greatponds/comfort
- Plant varieties that bring the tropics to northern locations, such as the basjoo banana plant, and hardy hibiscus
- Don’t have the space for a pool? Think again. Pool builders have created a new line of smaller, feature rich pools to address the trend for compactness and simplicity. A spool is much smaller than an in-ground swimming pool, but at least twice the length of the average spa
- Firepits and fire features www.pinterest.com/greatponds/glow-fire
- Outdoor kitchens and appliances www.pinterest.com/greatponds/cook-outdoor-kitchens
- Gas heaters and lighting (torches)
- Garden rooms and cabanas
- Outdoor televisions and entertainment areas
To get the most from your stay-at-home vacation:
- Give your staycation a start and end date with the time in between devoted to relaxing, having fun, and breaking out of your daily routine
- Don’t do the laundry or clean the garage, or other household projects… take care of household chores and projects before your vacation begins
- If you enjoy eating out on vacations, do the same on your staycation
- Fight the urge to be accessible – limit emails, calls and work activities
- Plan several day trips – by train, bus or subway – to enjoy local attractions like sporting events, the zoo, the theatre or theme parks which you are usually too busy to appreciate
- Visit a local farm or petting zoo – go for a horse ride
- Go on a hike or bike ride
- Set up an outdoor movie area. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Take a nap. Escape daily life and relax.
The trick to enjoying a staycation is to deviate from your daily routines and truly make it a vacation. And, if you find your garden isn’t measuring up as a five-star staycation destination, now’s the time to consult with a landscape contractor.
National study shows that homes today are doing double, even triple duty as workplace, staycation, gym and more: